Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Time flies when you're not as young.

Today's cliche that fits: Perception is reality.

It's been six weeks since Kya entered the world in grand fashion. For me, it's flown by. Yet the transformation which has taken place with her during that time is astounding. All I know is that life seems to have shifted into ludicrous speed and, besides acknowledging that my "2:30 feeling" seems to last all day and that the only period of lucidity I seem to have is in the middle of the night as I wait for her to awake (hence me being able to seemlessly use words like "lucidity" at 5:00 in the morning), I haven't had time to ponder much else.

Meanwhile, six weeks for Kya is literally a lifetime. It's been an eternity of infinite bottle feedings and changings and being passed along like a communal joint to endless family members and friends of family members and friends of those friends. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to try and get us, her parents, to decipher what a particular cry is intended for, or if her grunts this time are attributed to the effort it takes to lift her bobbley-head, or if it's just another case of hardcore gas (she's her parents' daughter in that regard).

I would love to be able to read her mind every time she coos about, or stares at, nothing in particular. I want to be able to provide whatever she needs when she cries but refuses the bottle (on the very rare occasion) and still has a dry diaper. I'd pay to be able to see the world through her eyes right now. We all have at one point, of course, but those memories have long since faded.

And perhaps for a reason. Maybe it's an overwhelming thing to be overstimulated by so many new experiences. Maybe it's utterly exhausting to go through so many physical changes in such a short period of time.

All I know is that times like these, at crazy hours of the night when I finally have time to reflect on how different my life is compared to six weeks ago, it helps to put time into perspective. And it's refreshing when that time, as ludicrously fast as it's flown by lately, is spent watching a life gradually evolve before my eyes. Especially in times when I feel like my own is stuck in neutral.

1 comment: