Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I was just thinking...a lot...

Today, I felt like I did something very dad-like: I went into Target in my pajamas - midday on a Wednesday, no less - to pick up baby formula. There was a time not long ago that my image-conscious mentality would not allow me to do such a thing. And it may not seem like a big deal, but for me, it felt like another step to being comfortable with where I am in life. So there.

And now that I've let it be known, I'll move on to the next thought encompassing my mind - which is how to manage all the thoughts encompassing my mind!

The thoughts that run through my head lately remind me of when I used to be a waiter. I’d take one order, then another, and then take another table, and another, and before you know it, I’m confusing my orders. Do I know who to go to next, or where I just was?

(Needless to say, I was not a very good waiter. For the reasons mentioned as well as the fact that I could never figure out how to do that balancing trick with the plates all on one arm. I may as well have been walking a tight rope with people's dishes!)

And my own thoughts feel that way, too: I’ll start with one thought that seems to guide its way, and then I’ll meander onto another thought that branched off from the previous one and leave that one unresolved. Then I’ll eventually have two incomplete thoughts and wander onto a third and forget what the original thought was.

Textbook, ADD, right?

But it always seems to be at its worst when I'm flooded with a bunch of tasks to accomplish and, regardless of how much I plan, or plan to plan, something always seems to fall by the wayside. And, just like how I could never balance more than a couple meals on my arm, it's equally as difficult for me to balance to-do lists.

Writing this at least takes a plate away.

(Wait...what was I talking about?)

No comments:

Post a Comment